Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Don't Forget

Read Deuteronomy 8

God led the Israelites from Egypt through the desert to humble and test them. He wanted "to teach them that man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God," Deuteronomy 8:3 NIV. Yet when they were hungry, He gave them bread from Heaven and
when they were thirsty, He brought water out of a rock. Their clothes did not wear out and their feet did not swell. Still the people grumbled and didn't trust God. A whole generation died in the desert for lack of trust before Israel crossed the Jordan River into the Promised Land.

I, too, lived in the desert, failing to trust my God and my Savior, choosing my ways over His, day after day and year after year. I, too, died there (spiritually). Thinking I was good for nothing, I didn't want to go on. I didn't know how to make things right, but God did. He sent Jesus to take away my sin and give me a new life, a life of trusting Him. Wow! why didn't I do this before? I don't have to depend on my own wisdom or strength because I can trust God for all I need. Oh, life didn't become magical or problem free, but now I have a Friend to walk with me, counsel and comfort me.

Now check this out. The Spirit led Jesus into the desert to be tempted by the devil. It makes me think of my time in the desert. I was tempted and fell into sin. Jesus didn't. He used words from Deuteronomy 8 in response to the devil's tempting to turn the stone into bread. "Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God," Matthew 4:4 NIV. Jesus was tempted as we are--by the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, but every time He used God's word in defense. That is what He wants us to do too, to know God's word and apply it.

Application
Before Jesus went to the cross, He was with His disciples at the Last Supper and said, "Don't forget me! Don't forget why! Love others as I have loved you. God's love is the answer to our deepest need. Will you let God love you today? forever?

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I pray for those reading this post, that they may know Your amazing love and respond. Amen.

1 comment:

David C Brown said...

He showed the features of a Man according to God.

Of course "tempted in all things, in like manner, sin apart, Hebrews 4: 15.