Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Let Your Light Shine

Both my son and daughter are avid mountain bikers. When Jason told me he was going on a lighted ride, my first response was, "Are you going on the mountain in the dark!?!"

"The lights show up better that way," he said.

As his mom, I guess I was more afraid for him than he was. I've been looking on his FB page for pictures, but haven't seen any, so the pic here is one I found on the Internet. When I look at it, I think of a song I learned (and have also taught) in Sunday school.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine . . ."

Jesus said in John 9:5, "While I am in the world, I am the light of the world." Yet He knew He wouldn't be here in person long, so He taught His people how to be light. In Matthew 5:14, He said, "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, . . ."

Although Jesus was the light of the world, those living in darkness did not like Him or His light, because they preferred to keep their lifestyles (John 3:19). As Christ's followers, many may not like the light we shine either, but be encouraged. Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life," John 8:12. That means we can trust our loving God to light our path. How? One way is with His word. "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path," Psalm 119:105.

If you are a Christian mountain biker, you might be interested in this: http://www.xschristians.com/sports/mountain-biking.aspx

Application
How do you make your light shine? Teaching? Writing? Encouraging? Helping? Giving? God gives each of us different talents and abilities to use as His beacons of light in this dark world.

Prayer
Thank you, Lord Jesus, for the light You shine into our world. Help us to carry that light so that others may know your amazing love. Amen.

4 comments:

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

You are a gifted writer and I'm already learning a lot from you! Thank you!

Sue Tornai said...

Thank you, my angel. You made my day.

Danie Marie said...

Amen, Sue! Often when I start the day, especially before I go out, I aske the Lord to shine through me. What a privilege we have to carry His light into the world.

Blessings ~ Danie Marie

Sue Tornai said...

Thank you, Danie. I agree. It's what we're about.