Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Good Shepherd (Psalm 23)

Do you feel like the lost sheep? I have good news for you. Jesus said the angels in Heaven rejoice over one lost sinner who comes home than for the ninety-nine who are not lost. I have been lost and lonely, but I'm thankful that God never gave up on me. At the point of my greatest need, I said His name and felt His love and presence. I never want to feel far from God again.

I started reading the Bible and over the years God has spoken to me through Psalm 23. I've learned that the more my wants are in tune with what God wants for me, I have no wants. Here are some things God wants for each of us:
  • He wants us to be well fed, spiritually as well as physically. While junk food is not good for our bodies, neither is it good for my soul. We can't feed on our favorite verses in the Bible and forget the rest, or read a quick devotion on the run each day and expect nourishment. God wants us to study His word and spend time with Him in prayer.
  • God wants us to follow Him. By studying the Bible, we learn that God's ways are not our ways. I chose my ways for too many years and learned I needed God in ways I didn't know or understand. Now I want more of Him and less of me in my relationships, work and pleasure.
  • God wants us to face our fears. I spent a lifetime avoiding conflict and fear, but I know that God is with me today--that greater is He who is in me than He who is in the world. I can trust Him to lead me through my fear and conflict.
  • God wants us to feel His presence. He might prepare a table before us in the presence of our enemies, but He is with us. He anoints our heads, gives us strength and confidence. He refreshes our souls.
  • God wants us to find our way Home. He gave His only Son to be the Way, the Truth and the Life for each one of us. He leads us Home and His goodness and mercy follow us. God has our backs. We have nothing to fear and everything to look forward to.  
I hope you will take a few minutes to listen to a favorite hymn of mine, "Gentle Shepherd," sung by the Gaither Voice Band. The prayer from Gloria is so appropriate for this generation. Turn up the sound, close your eyes and be blessed.


2 comments:

Janice said...

Loved that wonderful vocal music and prayer. Such a nice way to end my Sunday. Thank you and thanks be to God for giving us the joy of hearing beautiful singing and words that honor Jesus.

Sue Tornai said...

Amen, Sister Janice. I am so glad you were blessed.