Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Everyone Needs Compassion

God calls us to love as He loves. That's what I want to do, but sometimes it's easier said than done. In our troubling economy, more and more people are hitting the streets after losing their homes. My heart goes out to them and I wish I could help.

Today in a restaurant I saw a retarded woman walk from the restroom with the end of her dress caught in her underwear. While I felt sorry for her, a young woman jumped to her aid and pulled down her dress. Why couldn't I have done that? The retarded woman turned and thanked the merciful woman. "Things happen," she said.

I find it hard to love the man who pulled in front of my car or the woman who pushed her way to the front of the check out line. Don't they know better? The truth is they probably don't know better. They are in their own little world and don't know or care that I'm alive.

It's easy for me to justify forgetting about them, but then I ask myself, What would Jesus do? Jesus healed the lame, the blind, deaf and mute. He reached out to lepers and people possessed by demons. He ate with tax collectors and prostitutes. I am without excuse.

Lord, have mercy on me and teach me to love as you do. Help me to be quick to help the ones I can and resist judging people who are not like me. Amen.




No comments: