Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Rose

Read: Psalm 145:15-16

Verse: The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 4:8 NIV

Walking through a shopping mall parking lot in early evening, I found a beautiful, long stem, red rose on the ground. Its leaves were torn but the flower was perfect. I thought at first it was artificial. I picked it up, took it home and put it in water. The rose responded quickly. Its loveliness and aroma filled the room and I wondered how anyone could throw it away.

The rose reminded me of myself – not valuable in the eyes of this world, but God saw something special in me. He picked me up from a pit of despair. He rescued me from my selfish, self-centered life. He gave me a new heart of compassion. As the rose lifted its petals and leaves in response to the water, I respond to God’s love by telling others how much He loves them and helping them learn to trust Him with whatever concerns them. God’s love is more powerful in our lives than the water is nourishing to the rose. It works in believers to accomplish good works. With his love he gives each one talents and abilities to perform our tasks and he stays with us to inspire, encourage and strengthen us.

Prayer: Thank you, Father God, for not abandoning me but showing me your love at just the right time.

Thought for the day: God holds blessings for us we know nothing about until the proper time.

No comments: