Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

All Saints Day


This All Saints Day in a packed church, I said goodbye to my friend, Greg Cochran, a man dearly loved by his family, church and workplace. Born November 16, 1960 and died October 25, 2010. Author of Saving Grace, a novel, he was writing other books and on his way to more publishing success. I met Greg at our Inspire Christian Writer's Group and soon learned of his quick wit and great sense of humor. We at Inspire appreciated his support and encouragement. Although Greg lost his day job and was applying for work, he coached football at Bradshaw Christian School. After his stroke in early October his team made beautiful get well cards for him which were on a table today for us to see. Filled with color, emotion and scripture verses the young people wrote from their heart. One said, "Please get well Mr. Cochran. If you  don't come back to football, I'm going to play soccer instead." To say the kids loved him is an understatement. 

Growing up Greg had several eye surgeries and many knee surgeries.
The scripture that got him through much suffering is, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6 

Greg wasn't sick or expecting to die so young, but he was ready to meet Jesus. Even though I grieve, I know my friend is enjoying the presence of our Lord today and forever.

Lord Jesus, please be with Greg's family today and in the coming weeks and months. Comfort and strengthen them. Let them know your great love for them. Amen.


2 comments:

Chris said...

Wonderful tribute. Greg will be missed by many.

Sue Tornai said...

I agree, Chris. I'm praying for his family. Thank you for stopping by.