Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Strengthened Through Weariness

Suggested Bible reading: Mark 6:30-44

"Let us not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up," Galatians 6:9.

I ran to the garage when I heard my husband, John, call for help. "I think I broke my foot," he said. Later that morning the doctor confirmed John's ankle was broken in two places so he received emergency surgery that afternoon. Without formal training, I became a caregiver, doing everthing for John in addition to regular household chores and shopping. By the end of each day my body ached from exhaustion.

Times when I needed rest, I thought of Jesus, tired from the tasks of ministry and the cares of this world. He sought solitary places away from the crowds but the crowds followed him. Showing no signs of weariness, he had compassion on the people because he said they were like sheep without a shepherd. He healed their sick and taught them how to live.

Christ's example gave me the strength I needed to persevere through tough days. Trusting God during times when I didn't think I could handle another demand, amazingly brought joy. God not only healed John, but he used John's short term disability to bless our marriage.

Thank you, Lord, for working your strength in me.

No comments: