Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

God is in Control

Proverbs 3:5,6

During these uncertain times it is easy for me to lose heart. The day I lost my high stress job and the days and weeks that followed caught me wondering where I fit in this world. Sometimes I felt like I wasn't needed without a job to go to. When my retirement and investments lost value, I questioned how I could I ever get back all I have worked for.

I kept reading my Bible and spending time in prayer. I discovered each day is a glorious gift. When I walk or ride my new bike in the mornings I am in awe of the beauty that surrounds me and I find myself thanking God for blessing me so richly. I have found more time to write and work in Vacation Bible School (VBS). Working in VBS was fun and stimulating. I can't forget the incredible blessing of being at the church among the children. I felt loved beyond any love I have felt in a long time. It brings tears to my eyes!

My husband, John, loves to go to Lake Almanor. It is beautiful and we have been there in June and July this year for a week to ten days each time. We are going again in August for a couple weeks. We love camping and fishing, but we also love driving into the towns of Chester and Susanville, California. Sometimes we explore other, smaller, high mountain lakes and we are amazed by the beauty and simplicity around us.

Sometimes I get stressed, thinking I need to be at home at my desk. I am thankful to God for my laptop and for wireless connections in town. I can stay connected with publishers, friends and family by checking my e-mail in town (John loves going to town). God has blessed my writing efforts whether I am in Sacramento or camping. He is taking care of business!! This summer a couple friends asked me to work with them on a book idea; I have been asked to teach workshops at Sunday school seminars and I have an interview with Sacramento News and Review regarding a letter to the editor I submitted in June. Every day I pray that I can be the wife John needs to bring him closer to God. I believe that prayer is being answered during the same time that God is taking care of my writing business.

I rely on the scripture of Proverbs 3:5,6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." (NIV)

What about you? Do you have an encouraging scripture that is getting you through troubling times?

1 comment:

Elizabeth M Thompson said...

Sue I love that Scripture! Thanks for sharing your vulnerability through the loss of your job and learning to trust God more to provide and meet your needs.

It is wonderful to watch God working in your life and in your writing.

I have several favorite Scriptures. One is: "Though the mountains may tremble and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor my covenant of peace be removed" says the Lord who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:10