Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

From Passive Aggressive to Compassionate

Our first camping/fishing trip for the year got off to a roaring start. The wind whipped against the motor home and brought down the awning before we got out of Sacramento. Once that was fixed we were on our way. We arrived at Whiskeytown and launched the boat in the horrendous wind, hoping that during the night it would calm down. It didn’t. In fact by the next afternoon it brought rain and it rained hard all night. The following morning we pulled the boat from the lake in the wind and rain.

Stuck inside the motor home for two days I read a great book, A Tale of Two Sons, based on Luke 15:11-31, by John MacArthur. By the time I finished the book, I had identified with the three main characters in the book, however, not in the same order as the Bible story of the Prodigal Son.

I first identified with the passive-aggressive elder brother. During my young years I tried to do everything right but I was not happy. I was impatient and judgmental. Frustrated and disillusioned I took the lifestyle of the prodigal son and did things my way. I made some bad decisions that left me lonely and depressed. After I made a total mess of my life, I cried out to God. I didn’t feel worthy of a life with Him and I told Him I didn’t want to go on living.

I heard His small quiet voice say to me, “Could you make it through today if I promise to stay with you?” Tears filled my eyes. “I guess I could,” I whispered. I picked up my Bible and I started reading. Peace came over me like I had never known. The following day I started off the same way, reading my Bible and praying. At first I didn’t know what to say and I just said, “Thank you, Jesus. Thank you, Jesus,” over and over. Later I thanked Him for His word, faithfulness, and fellowship. Day by day I added more of His attributes and I talked to Him about things that concerned me. Today He is my best Friend.

Like the Father in the story, I pray for my family. He must have prayed a lot. Why else would he anticipate his son’s homecoming? I think it’s because he prayed for it. And so I pray for my family and I anticipate the wonderful homecoming we will share when we all get home to be with our Lord.

“This son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.” Luke 15:24

Thank you, Lord, for the hope of coming home to You some day.

No comments: