Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Kitchen Table

I learned to read at the kitchen table by reading the newspaper and the Bible to Mom and Dad. I taught my sister, Montie, to read at the same table. She and I did our homework there. Sometimes we argued.  After school we found cookies or strips of baked pie dough topped with sugar and cinnamon. Most important to my faith, is that we learned how to pray and trust God at the kitchen table. Mom took us to church and Sunday school, but Daddy stayed home. Paul wrote to a similar family in the Bible.
I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into the flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline (1 Timothy 1:5-7).
Timothy's father was a Greek but his mother and grandmother were believers and taught him the faith that was the foundation of his ministry. We each have different backgrounds and circumstances, but when we believe in Jesus as our Savior, we have many things in common. Great love, joy, peace and hope.

Thank you, Father God, for your changeless love and faithfulness. I don't know where I would be today without them. Thank you for the godly home I grew up in. Thank you for all the ways you bless my life. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: