Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Epiphany

Today is Epiphany, a Christian holy day that commemorates Christ revealed to the Gentiles. It's also the twelfth day of Christmas and is celebrated as the day the Magi visited Jesus in Bethlehem. The Wise Men brought gifts fit for a king.

Gold is precious across all nations and cultures. It is fit for royalty and said to the Christ child, "You will be a King." Is He your King? Does He reign in your heart or do you?

Frankincense is a milky sap tapped from the Boswellia tree and is known for its calming, restorative, and meditative properties. Ancient people burned frankincense and believed it carried their prayers to Heaven. This gift shows Christ's role as a priest. Is He your priest? Do you pray to Him? Does He calm your anxious heart? I have learned I can trust Him with anything that concerns me. He gives me strength, wisdom and courage to fulfill His plan for my life.

Myrrh is the resin produced by a small, tough, scraggly tree that grows in semi-desert regions along the Red Sea. It is known as a wound healer because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. The most popular use is as an embalming ointment. After Jesus died on the cross, Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea anointed Jesus' body with myrrh. This is the gift that signifies Jesus as our Savior. Is He your Savior? Do you believe He died for the forgiveness of your sins so you could have life everlasting with Him? He lives in Heaven where sin cannot be present. The wages of sin are death, but Jesus came so we wouldn't have to die but live with Him for eternity.

The wise men lavished gold, frankincense and myrrh on King Jesus long before He became a man. What gift will you give to Him? He gave His life for you.

Thank  you, O Lord, for the gift of your love in Jesus. I don't have expensive gifts, but I give you myself. I love you and worship you. Teach me your ways and lead me on your paths. Amen.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Nice post for today. The prayer at the end was so sweet. Thank you for sharing your heart.

Sue Tornai said...

Thank you, Janice, for stopping by and leaving a comment. Awesome!