Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hired Last


Jesus said the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner  who hired workers early in the morning to work in his vineyard. Each agreed to accept a denarius for the day. At nine o'clock he went out and hired more laborers. He hired more at noon, and three o'clock and five o'clock. In the evening He paid each man who worked a denarius.

Those who worked through the heat of the day expected more pay than those who worked only an hour at the end of the day and questioned the landowner. "These last men put in one hour, and you made them equal to us who bore the burden of the day and the burning heat!"

The landowner replied, "Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? 

Jesus said, "So the last will be first, and the first will be last" Matthew 20:16.

I am glad God's ways are higher than my ways, especially since I consider myself to be among the laborers hired at the end of the day (not fit for God's service until later in life). Yet, God is gracious through the blood of His only Son to grant me an inheritance. Praise Him for His faithfulness.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for making it possible for me to be counted in your kingdom. Thank you for giving your all for me. I give my all to you. Amen.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Thank you for this post. It is relevant for me. Blessings, Janice

Sue Tornai said...

Something else we share. :)