Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Follow the Son

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:34-36

Spring shines God's grace in the glorious colors of flowers. I wonder how anyone can experience this time of year and not believe in God.  Have you noticed how daisies close up at night, but as soon as the sun appears, they begin to open as if to praise God? They spend the rest of the day following the sun across the sky.

I have wondered how much better my life would be if I praised God at first light, even before I get out of bed, and kept my focus on Him through the day. Starting my day in Bible study and prayer come natural to me, but as the day gets on its way, I find I'm distracted by concerns of the world.

Do you experience the same problem? If so, how do you regain your focus on Christ? Do you make a conscious effort or does God woo you back into His presence with the surrounding beauty of His creation, encouragement from a friend, or blessings that come from your family? Please take a moment of your time to leave a comment as to how you follow the Son through each and every day of your busy week. Many, including me, would benefit.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for the beauty of Spring, for Your faithfulness and grace. Teach us your ways and help us to keep our focus on following You. Amen.







4 comments:

Janice said...

It seems the best I can manage when times are extremely busy is to keep a little devotional magazine nearby to pick up and read when minutes are available. I also might have a card or bookmark nearby with a religious theme that I can focus on momentarily. I also receive several devotions on e-mail that I may find time to read. When times are less hectic I like to use a Bible study book/booklet which requires looking up verses and writing down related thoughts. Also, when I am outside and see the lovely things of God's creation or hear birds singing my thoughts turn to the Creator. And, being a co-teacher of a children's Sunday School class gives me opportunity to read the lesson materials and reflect on what would be the best activities to help the children learn more about Jesus on Sunday.

Thank you for your time in writing these beautiful reflections.

Sue Tornai said...

Thank you, Janice. Your suggestions are great. Last week I downloaded a Bible to my iPhone and I subscribe to the e-mail version of The Upper Room devotions, which I can also read on my iPhone. Great tools for times during the day when we can grab snippets of God's truth just when we need them.

Danie Marie said...

Hi Sue, time in the Word and in prayer definitely jumps starts my day. Well, if I work out, I spend that time after lunch, but either way, He honors that time. Like you, nature brings me back to Him, as does my writing, because the Holy Spirit is my writing partner. But as human beings, life does tend to interupt that precious relational flow, doesn't it. I believe He gently draws us back to Him, but 'oft times, He waits for me to turn my focus back to Him.

Sue Tornai said...

Danie, I love your comments. I feel the same way so often. Thank you for saying the Holy Spirit is your writing partner. Precious!