Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Where is Your Treasure?

I asked a couple of young men who came to my door if they knew whether or not they were going to Heaven. They said they thought so--because they were good. I told them they could be sure because the Bible says in Ephesians 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is a gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast." The young men reminded me of the rich young man who came to Jesus.

Jesus looked at him [the rich young man] and loved him. He had asked Jesus what he must do to inherit eternal life.

"Keep the law," Jesus said. He meant the Ten Commandments.

"I've kept these since I was a boy," the young man said. But the law couldn't save him or anyone else. Jesus knew that.

He said, "One thing you lack. Go and sell everything you have and give to the poor. You will have treasure in heaven," Mark 10:21. If he did this, he would be dependent on God, not his wealth. While he thought he was good and religious, he actually failed on the first of the commandments, to love God with all his heart. His wealth was his god and he walked away sad, not willing to give up earthly treasure for eternity's gain.

"I tell you the truth," Jesus said, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age and in the age to come, eternal life."

Application
What about you? Is something keeping you from knowing the love of Jesus? Maybe it's not wealth or possessions. Maybe it's a relationship or a compulsive nature. We live in a world of sin and it will touch us one way or another. Jesus died for these things and by believing this, we inherit eternal life with God. Whatever is holding you back, you can surrender it to Jesus and experience His amazing love. I can't promise you a life on easy street. That's not something God promised. However, He promised He would always be with us, that He would never leave or forsake us. I know this to be true. Nearly twenty one years ago I surrendered myself to God and although my life hasn't been void of problems, I have found a treasure in knowing He is always with me.

Prayer
Lord Jesus, I am praying for those reading this post, that you would help them trust you and nothing or no one else. Amen.

No comments: