Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Mercy or Judgement-Luke 7:36-48

A sinful woman followed Jesus into the Pharisee's house. As she wept, her tears fell on Jesus' feet and she wiped them with her hair. She poured perfume on them and kissed them. The Pharisee thought to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is--that she is a sinner," Luke 7:39.

Knowing the Pharisee's thoughts, Jesus said, "Simon, I have something to tell you."

"Tell me, teacher," he said.

"Two men owed money to a lender--one 500 denarii and the other 50. Neither could pay their debts so the lender canceled what they owed. Which of them will love him more?"

Simon said, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."

Jesus said he was right. Then He looked at Simon and said, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house but you gave me no water for my feet. She wet my feet with her tears. You did not greet me with a customary kiss, but she has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she poured perfume on my feet. Her sins are forgiven for she loved much. Yet he who has been forgiven little loves little," Luke 7:44-48.

It is easy for us to judge people as Simon did, but Jesus showed mercy. Because I am forgiven of much, as the woman in this story, and know God's love, I want others to know His love and forgiveness too. Do you know God's love, my friend? If not, say His name, surrender your soul to Him, and you will never be the same. His amazing love will change you, and He will give you a new heart.

No comments: