Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Don't Be Afraid--I'm Here

As a sick little girl, I was afraid of the dark and of being alone. "Don't be afraid," Mama said. "I'm here." She gave me the comfort and security I needed to get through rhuematic fever and scarlet fever, allergies and heart trouble. Mama's home with Jesus now and I have kids and grandkids of my own.

Fear of failure or success and fear of having no value at all replaced my fear of the dark and being alone. That was until I found my personal worth in God, the Maker of Heaven and earth. My poor choices took me down a road of sin and destruction. Facing the next day seemed impossible and in my despair I wanted to give up. It was then that I felt the warmth of God's love and presence. Who was I that He would care for me? "Don't be afraid," I heard Him say. "I'm here."

Just when I think fear is no longer a part of my life, I see catastrophic storms in Australia on the news and hope that nothing like that comes to California.Then the news, thank them for their uncertain projections, says that the West Coast expects a storm that will change the way we live in California forever. When will this happen and what does all this mean? My thoughts go crazy!

Then I remember a horrific storm on the Sea of Galilee. Among Jesus' disciples were experienced fishermen who had been through storms on that lake many times. This one was different. Just when  Jesus' friends paniced, He showed up walking towards them on the water. "Don't be afraid," He said. "I'm here." (Matthew 14:22-36)

So if the predicted storm hits California, I will call on the name of the Lord, knowing He is always with me. I hope, my friend, that you will too.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for always being available to calm the storms of our lives. We love you and trust you to protect us and lead us in your way. Amen.

4 comments:

Dianne E. Butts said...

Beautiful thoughts, Sue. Simply beautiful.

Sue Tornai said...

Thank you, Dianne, for your encouraging comments. I miss talking with you. Gotta get together soon!!

Debbie said...

Great post Sue! Very timely considering the constant flood of bad news in the media lately. Always good to be reminded to keep our focus on God and his promises, not on things that creep into our line of sight that tend to pull us away!

Sue Tornai said...

Thank you, Debbie. God is faithful. He strengthens us when we feel afraid or too weak to accomplish all He has called us to do.