Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Let the Children Come to Me

Verse: Let the children come to me and do not hinder them. (Matt. 10:14)

My last birthday happened to be on a Sunday. It was wonderful--everyone saying "Happy Birthday" to me. I felt especially blessed when the children in Sunday school sang "Happy Birthday." Eight-year-old Austin played the piano while the others sang.

Children bless me just about every day, whether I am walking my dog or teaching Sunday school or spending time with my grandchildren. Last Saturday I was feeling really grungy. John and I were coming home from camping. It was a bad hair day for me so I wore a hat and sunglasses when we stopped for lunch. Out of nowhere I heard a precious little voice say, "I like your glasses." My head spun around. "Thank you!" I smiled.

When parents brought their children to Jesus for a blessing, the disciples turned them away, thinking they would bother Jesus. Oddly, He said, "Let the children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth; anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." I think the children blessed Jesus as they bless me. He took them in His arms and blessed them in return.

Children give me a taste of Heaven. Times I spend with them hold a thread of hope through my life until I reach the banquet in Heaven where every day will be a celebration and everyone will have the innocence, faith and joy of a child.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for a taste of Heaven. Make me useful here on earth until it's time for you to carry me home. Amen.

No comments: